United States Mint Unveils Modern Ultra-High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin
Filed Under: ANA Money Show, Gold & Silver Bullion, Just Released - New Coins, Modern US Coins, US Mint, What's New
Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson announced that pursuant to Public Law: 31 U.S.C. § 5112(i)(4) the United States Mint will issue a one-ounce ultra-high relief 24-karat gold coin, creating a 2009 version of what many have called the most beautiful gold piece ever made: the Ultra High Relief Saint-Gaudens $20 Double Eagle.
Aided by advancements in technology, the United States Mint now can produce, in quantity, the ultra high relief coin envisioned, but never fully realized, by renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens in 1907.
The mintage of the new coin will be unlimited for one year. Among the production specifications approved by Secretary Paulson are the new coin’s business-strike finish and a diameter of 27 millimeters, making the new collectible coin about 50 percent thicker than other United States Mint one-ounce gold coins.
Only 2009-dated coins will be minted. The coins will go on sale in early 2009, although sales may continue into 2010 if inventory exists.
United States Mint Director Ed Moy will participate in the Opening Ceremony of the American Numismatic Association World’s Fair of Money on Wednesday, July 30, 2008, at 9:30 a.m. ET
Visitors will be able to feel the ultra high relief on plasters of the coin that will be featured at the Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin exhibit at the United States Mint booth on the bourse floor at the World’s Fair of Money.
The Obverse: Saint-Gaudens’ Liberty, personified by a statuesque woman striding powerfully forward. Liberty is leading the way with a torch in her front hand and an olive branch in the back hand. The United States Capitol dome is also depicted in the background.
The Reverse & Edge Lettering: A young eagle flying during a sunrise is depicted on the reverse. The motto, “E PLURIBUS UNUM” is on the edge of the coin, allowing a cleaner design on the obverse and reverse.
- United States Mint Moves Forward to Create a Modern Ultra-High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin
- Gold Coin Sales to End December 31st for 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle
- Some History on the ‘New’ Ultra High Relief Double Eagle
- Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Pattern to be Sold by Stack’s: One of Just Two Known
- Finest Known PCGS PR-69 Ultra High Relief $20 Saint Gaudens Gold Coin to be Exhibited at Santa Clara Expo
- United States Mint Unveils Designs for 2008 American Bald Eagle Recovery and National Emblem Commemorative Coins
- United States Mint Unveils 2010 First Spouse Gold Coin Designs
- Finest Known Ultra High Relief Saint at Santa Clara Expo This Week
- Finest Known Ultra-High Relief Changes Hands Again
- United States Mint Unveils 2009 Presidential $1 Coin Designs
About the Author
You must be logged in to post a comment.