Goldbergs Acquire Legendary King Edward VIII 1937 Proof Set
At the end of February 2010, Ira and Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles purchased England’s legendary King Edward VIII 1937 Proof Set for $2.1 Million (1,350,000 Pounds). This purchase was made in England with the assistance of noted English coin dealers Steve Fenton and Mark Rasmussen.
Considered the “Holy Grail” of English Milled Coinage, this is the only Proof Set of its kind in private hands, and all are in Gem Proof condition. This set has never before been seen outside of England.
Apparently, only four sets, plus a few minors, were minted; the Royal Mint has two of the sets, and another was broken up over 40 years ago, with a few of the coins occasionally appearing at auction.
King Edward the VIII abdicated the throne in December of 1936, after reigning for only 10 months, to marry the American divorcee Mrs. Willis Simpson, a commoner.
It is this King Edward VIIII quote that many school children have been taught to memorize: “I have found it impossible to carry the heavy burden of responsibility and to discharge my duties as King as I would wish to do without the help and support of the woman I love.”
The proof set was minted at the Royal Mint and dated 1937 to be issued on his coronation in January 1937, an event which never took place.
This particular set belonged to Mrs. R. Henry Norweb, whose husband was the American Ambassador to England.
- King of Eagles Soars – Record $5 Million for 1804 Proof Eagle
- Former U.S. Senator Edward William Brooke III Receives Congressional Gold Medal
- Collectors – How to Acquire Grading Skills
- First Gold Coin Struck in the Name of an English King to be Sold by Spink
- New Book: “King of Eagles” The Most Remarkable Coin Ever Produced by the U.S. Mint
- Legendary 1898 Single 9 Pond South African Coin Certified by NGC
- Odyssey Marine Exploration and Arqueonautas Worldwide Partner in Presenting Legendary São José Coins
- Gift Fit for a King: First ever Malaysian banknotes come up for auction
- ‘King of Coins’ leads $45 million Heritage CSNS Auctions in Cincinnati
- PCGS Presents Stewart Blay’s Legendary “Red Copper Collection” at ANA
About the Author
Ira and Larry Goldberg have been in the coins and collectibles business for over 35 years and are leaders in their field. Their grandfather founded the prominent Superior Stamp and Coin Company in Beverly Hills in 1931, and Goldberg Coins & Collectibles of Beverly Hills, California, has been setting records and upholding the family tradition of excellence and expertise since 1969. http://www.goldbergcoins.com
You must be logged in to post a comment.